You have been dreaming about redesigning your home for ages, but one four letter word always seems to get in the way…FEAR. It’s the most common reason why people steer clear of starting new seemingly unfamiliar projects, only to make up excuses like, “Where do I start”… “I can’t afford a makeover” … “What’s in it for me” … “It’s going to take forever.” Here are a few tips on how to overcome fears and turn your dream design into reality.
1) Keep Your Eyes on The Prize – If you continue to focus on all the things that stand in your way of making your dream room become reality, chances are it will remain in your dreams. Visualize your desired result and imagine how you will feel in your finished room. When you focus on the outcome, overcoming roadblocks become easier and even more enjoyable.
2) Design & Conquer – Ever heard the ‘ol saying “Rome wasn’t built in a day?” This is because it wasn’t and your home makeover most likely won’t either. Break your project down into stages, and conquer each stage in a reasonable amount of time. It might not get done in a day, but surely less than you had thought.
3) Embrace Mistakes – Let’s face it, no one is perfect. So many of us get discouraged when we make mistakes and use it as an excuse to abort mission on projects. Own up to your faux pas and learn from them. This will make your next design venture easier in the future and enable you to offer expert advise for friends and family when they endure similar situations.
4) Create an Incentive – Another famous excuse for avoiding a home makeover is finding the value of importance. By creating a list of all the benefits of redesigning your space, you will find a clear incentive that will drive you to the finishing line.
5) Bring in an Expert– If you are afraid of having an undesirable outcome, hire a professional to give you an expert opinion. Designers have years of experience under their belt and can help you achieve your design goals with great results, giving the confidence you need to push forward. You can also get design assistance with Day Design & Decor’s services.
When taking the inititative to realize our own fears and making conscious efforts in overcoming them, your goals become more attainable. “Walk in the direction that you look” is the motto I learned from my Grandma. It has helped me keep focused on my goals and achieve most of them. Now, push fear aside and take a step towards creating your dream room.
What is holding you back from redesigning your home? What would you do to your space if fear didn’t stop you? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Your fearless designer,
Day Design & Decor